Flavor-packed chicken breast served over a bed of crunchy greens makes for a great summer salad. The main star in this recipe is five-spice powder, a mix frequently used in Chinese cuisine, which brings a warm, spicy-sweet flavor to dishes. Add cooling cucumber, carrots, radishes and a drizzle of honey lime vinaigrette.
Five-Spice Chicken Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce or Sriracha
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 6 cups sliced or shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely shredded
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
Preheat broiler. Combine soy sauce, five-spice powder and chili garlic sauce. Rub evenly over chicken. Broil chicken 4 minutes on each side, or until done. Cool slightly and thinly slice. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, water and honey. Divide greens and vegetables evenly in 4 serving bowls. Top with chicken. Drizzle honey lime vinaigrette evenly over salad.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast and 2 1/2 cups salad mixture
Per serving: Calories: 226; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 65mg; Sodium: 420mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 26g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 470mg; Iron: 8%; Vitamin A: 272%; Vitamin C: 32%; Calcium: 8%